Thursday, June 18, 2015

I Shoot Canon ... For Historical Reasons

I will make repeated references to the equipment I am using in various tests and experiments.  This will invariably some sort of Canon DSLR and lens combination.  I expect the reader to have the following instantaneous befuddlement: "If this guy is so interested in maximizing image quality and reducing weight for non-moving subjects, WTF is he doing using Canon DSLRs???"  Good question.

The answer is a mix of cost considerations and historical reasons.  I began shooting with Velvia and a Canon Elan 7e way back when.  My lens collection grew from there to where I find myself now with a beautiful set of Canon glass.  I currently shoot with a 5DS, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 16-35 f/4 IS, 70-200 f/4 IS and some assorted primes and older bodies.  It is simply not economically viable, and in some aspects not possible, to switch systems and maintain such a high level of image quality.

I also want to diffuse any notion that I am religious about my choice of gear.  There are at least a dozen camera systems out there that when used with good technique and vision, will produce phenomenal results.  If I were to start from scratch today, I would likely end up in the Sony A7xx/FE mount universe.  The cameras are light with superb image quality.  The few available lenses are all of high quality.  But the equipment I have is also fantastic weight difference of a pound just isn't enough for me to switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment